What are the benefits?
Below are some terms that you might have read in our product descriptions. We focus of providing treats that are of health benefit as well as being enjoyable for your pet!
GLUCOSAMINE & CHRONDROITIN
A report published by Arthritis Research UK stated: "Animal studies have found that glucosamine can both delay the breakdown of and repair damaged cartilage." Glucosamine as a supplement is usually developed in a lab or derived from shellfish. Thankfully for our pets, you can feed them high-glucosamine & chondroitin treats, such as the following:
"In laboratory tests, glucosamine showed anti-inflammatory properties and even appeared to help cartilage regeneration." source: Arthritis.org
Much like glucosamine, chondroitin is a compound that is found in the joints. It serves to help the cartilage retain fluid. In research, chondroitin has been found to reduce the morning 'stiffness' associated with arthritis, as well as have a long-term effect on reducing pain.
Firstly, all the tripe that we sell at Pettitt and Boo is GREEN tripe. This is the stomach lining from a ruminating (grazing) animal, such as cattle, sheep, pigs and goats (first image). Tripe that you may see for sale at the supermarket is boiled and bleached, often referred to as WHITE tripe (second image).
Green tripe has huge nutritional benefits for your pet:
- High protein and contains 7 amino acids which help physical development and muscle growth, improved immunity and tissue repair.
- High levels of enzymes. Enzymes are the chemical 'tools' that your pet will use to help them maximise the amount of nutrition that they get from their diet. The more enzymes, the more nutritional benefit they get from their food.
- Green Tripe has an excellent calcium to phosphorus ratio, as well as an optimal ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 fatty acids, making it nutritionally balanced. Green tripe is also acidic in pH, making it easier for your pet to digest – perfect for sensitive stomachs.
- An ideal treat for a dog that is poorly or is struggling with weight gain... they LOVE the smell and will WANT to eat it. It is healthy weight gain because the calories are full of vitamins and minerals.
- Older dogs can lose some of their sense of smell, so the 'aroma' of tripe is great as an encourager to get them to eat. You can top their regular food with chopped up tripe treats.
- Pregnant or nursing bitches benefit from the fantastic nutritional advantages of tripe.
- Tripe is very easy for dogs to digest, so dogs with sensitive stomachs often find that they can eat a tripe meal much more confidently than other foods.
If you haven't fed your pet tripe before, the benefits are amazing, but the smell is awful! Click here to see the tripe treats that we stock.